Sunday, February 02, 2014

Gobble Guts!

Years ago sticky baked turkey wings made a regular appearance at our table because, apart from being really delicious, they were incredibly cheap at just $2 a kilo. Then, for reasons unknown to me, they just  disappeared from the meat section of our 'local' supermarket and I hadn't seen them again.....until about 3 weeks ago. I was so excited I nearly did a little dance in the shop!! They have doubled in price since I bought them last but the new ones are from a free range farm so I am happy to pay more and, let's face it, $4 a kilo is still very cheap! 

Another good thing about cooking turkey wings this way is that they are very quick and easy to prepare before being popped in the oven for a slow bake. If you like you could make the marinade in the morning, leave the wings steeping in it while you are at work, and when you get home put them on to bake for a couple of hours, to be ready in time for dinner. I like to serve them with fried brown rice made with lots of veggies, but they also go well with plain steamed rice and veg or salad on the side.

I don't like to light the oven in the kitchen here in summer (at 30 degrees with the air con on, it is quite hot enough thank you!) so, when it comes to baking meat I do it all in the barbecue and I find it works really well. I just put the tray on one side of the barbie and light the burner on the other side, then close the lid and monitor the temperature now and then. I turn the tray around about half way through the cooking time.

When baking any meat with sugar in the sauce I always line the tray with baking paper. This way you 
get to keep all the sauce rather than it sticking to the pan and, more importantly, the tray is easy to wash!

This recipe makes a lot so please adjust the quantities according to your needs...but I might add that it's worth cooking extras of these as they make great lunchbox fillers!

Ingredients

8 turkey wings, jointed into 2 pieces

Marinade
1 cup light soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce
2 thumbs of fresh ginger, grated finely
4 cloves garlic, crushed or grated finely (I use a microplane grater for ginger and garlic)
1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
2  whole star anise (this is quite a strong flavour and if not to your liking it can be omitted)
Peeled rind and squeezed juice of one orange
1/2 cup of water 

Method
Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Put the wings in a large bowl and pour the marinade over them. Cover and sit in the fridge overnight or for as long as you have. 

Preheat the oven (or barbecue) to 160 degrees Celsius. Line a tray (large enough to hold all the wings in a single layer) with baking paper. If a single sheet is not big enough to go up the sides of the tray then use two sheets folded together along the centre line a few times and then open out. 

Place the wings in a single layer in the tray and pour the marinade over them. Cover the tray tight with foil and place in the oven.

Bake at 160 deg for about 1 1/2 hours then take out and remove the foil. Turn the wings over in the sauce.

Put the tray back in the oven, turn the heat up to 180 deg and bake for another 1/2 an hour, or until the wings are a lovely burnished colour and the meat is coming away from the bone. 

These really are finger lickin' good but finger bowls might be a good idea!

This same recipe can be used with pork ribs.
I cooked 8 wings in this big tray. That's 8 big pieces
and 8 smaller pieces. This photo only shows half
the tray. It was enough for dinner for 6 and lunch
the next day.


And while we are on the subject of turkeys.....I killed the last of my turkeys the other day. I have been putting it off, thinking I might keep her, but I think she was a bit lonely and also she was annoying the chooks by pecking at them and dominating over the scraps from the chook bucket.

It is a little bit older than is ideal for eating but, rather than roasting, I will probably cut up and braise her slowly. I will make pate from the liver and add the heart and giblet to the carcass for stock. I will then hide in a corner and eat the giblet, sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper, all by myself!

Have you got any good turkey wing recipes?



No comments:

Post a Comment